Monday, August 24, 2009

Windows 2008 Server and SQL Reporting Services 2005

26-08-2009 Update: Graham Davies told me that besides the mentioned KB article also another step has to be taken in order to make it work. I know it but forgot to mention it here. Thanks Graham! Please check this article as well in order to make it work.

When installing SQL 2005 Reporting Services (SRS) on a Windows 2008 Server, the IIS role needs to be installed. During the installation of this role certain components are really needed. Otherwise SRS won’t be available as an installable option or it will be installed but not configured.

Gladly there is a KB article telling exactly what IIS 7.0 components are needed in order to get SRS 2005 up & running on Windows 2008 server. The KB article can be found here. Don’t be fooled since the KB article talks about Windows Vista but as we all know, Windows 2008 Server is Windows Vista for grown-ups… :).

This article works exactly the same for Windows 2008.

Another piece of advise: reboot the server after this role has been added, even though the role installation wizard doesn’t tell you so.

5 comments:

Graham Davies said...

Hi Marnix

I usually find that after following the kb article details I have to do this as well:

In IIS 7 Manager, highlight the ReportServer application, go to Handler Mappings, click Edit Feature Permissions in the Actions Pane, and enable Script and Execute.

This is from - http://blog.dastrup.com/?p=48

Cheers

Graham

Marnix Wolf said...

Hi Graham.

I am familiar with that blogposting. Somehow I forgot to mention it. Thanks for reminding me. It keeps my blog sharp and correct.

Best regards,
Marnix

Waterborne said...

Hi Marnix!

Can you help me with this one? Are there any limitations for SCOM Reporting Services between using SQL Server 2005 over SQL Server 2008.

I would also appreciate it if you could send me a link that provides something like a features comparison.


Thank you very much! And also, nice blog!

Marnix Wolf said...

Hi Waterborne.

Thanks for visiting my blog AND your kind words.

Personally I prefer SSRS from SQL 2008 since it is more robust. Mainly because it has its own IIS engine for it. Until now I had only to repair one SSRS instance based on SQL 2008 for SCOM compared to many other SSRS instances based on SQL 2005. And the SQL 2008 instance which I had to repair was a user error and not a system related issue at all where as the SSRS instance based on SQL 2005 and IIS is far more prone to errors.

On top of it all, SQL 2008 is newer so it has more of a lifetime ahead compared to SQL 2005.

I also blogged about SQL 2005 compared to SQL 2008: http://thoughtsonopsmgr.blogspot.com/2009/07/r2-upgrading-from-sql-2005-to-sql-2008.html

Hope this helps. Feel free to ping me when more information is needed.

Cheers,
Marnix

Waterborne said...

Thanks very much for the tip! It really helped me!