Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Orchestrator Installation Fails When Testing Service Account

This situation is either amusing or sad. Since I try to look on the bright side of things in life I try to smile about it…

Situation
I was installing a new Orchestrator environment based on SP1 media on a Windows Server 2012 VM in a Windows Server 2012 domain. As backend a SQL Server 2012 SP1 server would host the Orchestrator database.

The related Service Account for Orchestrator was created as stated by the customer thus complying with their naming conventions. The account name is: SVC_SCOrch_Management. But the setup program kept on nagging me with this message when testing this service account:
image

No matter what I did or tried, the same message came back, biting me…

The cause
And this is a bit sad I guess. I checked the account in ADUC and then as a last resort I looked at the pre-Windows 2000 user logon name:
image

Since the account name is a bit long (in compliance with the account policies this customer has in place) the pre-Windows 2000 user logon name drops the last character, the ‘t’. So the user logon name becomes SVC_SCOrch_Managemen.

Let’s try it in the installer:
image

BINGO!

Recap:
Even though System Center 2012 SP1 Orchestrator installs on Windows Server 2012 with SQL Server 2012 SP1 all in a Windows Server 2012 domain, a pre-Windows 2000 user logon name is REQUIRED for the installer of Orchestrator SP1 to make it work?!

I laugh about it…. Bedroefde emoticon

2 comments:

Vee said...

I suspect this has something to do with the fact that Orchestrator (unfortunately) is still 32-bit

SCOM_User2012 said...

Its actually a limitation in AD.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winservergen/thread/9f5e00ce-cb91-4493-af5d-b1661c3434ff