Even after this procedure the App Advisor Reports didn’t work as expected. Turned out that APM uses for its reports a dedicated Data Source. This Data Source refers to the old location of the Data Warehouse database, causing this error. However, Tao Yang has written an excellent posting about this issue and how to solve it. Thanks to his posting I solved this issue within the matter of a few minutes.
I love errors like these since they contain worthwhile information. And indeed, the Application Log contained other good information.
This worked before the move. But now all SCOM 2012 DBs are running on SQL Server 2012, hosted by the same SQL server, only a different SQL instance.
Looks like the new SQL instance doesn’t like this one bit.Time for some remediation.
I simply changed the Identity of both Application Pools used by Application Advisor and Application Diagnostics. Instead I used an AD account which has sufficient permissions on the new SQL Server instance and the SCOM 2012 DW DB.
- Right click on one of the Application Pools used by APM;
- Select the option Advanced Settings;
- Change the option Identity by clicking on the button with the three dots;
- Use this syntax:
- Enter the password and retype it > OK
- Repeat Steps 1 to 5 for the other APM Application Pool
- Double check the Application Pools. They should look like this now:
- Recycle both Application Pools OR run IISRESET from an elevated cmd-prompt (only use the latter option when you’re sure no other websites hosted by the same IIS box are in use at that moment )