Friday, November 7, 2014

SCCM 2012x: Applying HP Hotkey Drivers Without Reboot…

Issue
With OSD HP Hotkey drivers for HP notebooks won’t install by default. Only after a second reboot these drivers will install. To incorporate this into OSD can be done (I think) but takes much time to get it right. So I decided to make a Package and to deploy it to a Device Collection containing these HP Notebooks.

On itself nothing exciting but the way HP packages these drivers made it a challenge. At the end it’s a MSI file BUT it’s wrapped with InstallShield. And when running it silent, the reboot is forced, no matter what. And that’s something I don’t want to happen.

Research
As stated before, the InstallShield wrapper contains a MSI package. With MSI it’s easy to run a silent installation and opting out the reboot so the user can reboot the system at their convenience.

Fix
Finally I found this posting on ITNINJA, helping me out, especially this entry: When you run the exe, it extracts to C:\SWSetup\SP47618 (or something like this) which contains an MSI. I don't have and HP machine to test with so I can't help you much from that point, but you should be able to use something like the following command to install. msiexec.exe /i HPHKS.msi ALLUSERS=1 REBOOT="ReallySuppress" /qn.

But some additional actions were required:

  1. When the Hotkey installer is downloaded from the HP website and unzipped it to a dedicated folder. This folder contains the file setup.exe and a folder titled InstallFiles. The file setup.exe contains the MSI file and must be extracted. The folder InstallFiles is REQUIRED for the next steps, otherwise the installation package will fail;
  2. I ran the file setup.exe. In %temp% I found the folder containing the extracted MSI file (HP Hotkey Support.msi) and related INI files.
  3. I copied ALL the content to a  new folder, lets say HPHotKeySupport;
  4. To this folder I also copied the folder InstallFiles and its contents;
  5. In order to circumvent naming issues, I renamed the file HP Hotkey Support.msi  HP_Hotkey_Support.msi;
  6. Then I modified the MSI syntax to msiexec.exe /i HP_Hotkey_Support.msi ALLUSERS=1 REBOOT="ReallySuppress" /qn
  7. Tested it once manually. it was okay.
  8. Then I made a SCCM Package with a Program (using a cmd file containing the syntax as stated in Step 6) and deployed it to the Device Collection containing the notebooks;
  9. Set the deployment to Required.
  10. Tested it on a newly deployed notebook and within minutes the HP Hotkey drivers were installed and – after a reboot – fully functional Smile.

3 comments:

Lesly Corbeels said...

Thank you very much for this post!!
Helped me a lot :)

Unknown said...

I usually just extract the SP with 7-zip and then run the following:
setup.exe /S /v/qn /V/norestart

hp support said...

nice info...blog...

HP Technical Support Number