Monday, June 28, 2010

SCOM R2 Web Console: Unexpected Error

Got this error today on a customers site of mine:
image

SCOM R2 had been running just fine, including the SCOM R2 Web Console. But now, after returning from my holiday, it all went wrong. The SCOM R2 Web Console refused to run. All I got was the message ‘Unexpected Error’ shown in IE… :(

So I started to check out the IIS logs but nothing solid turned up. Then I checked the event logs, nothing as well. I even rebooted the related server but again the error returned. The related web.config file was OK as well.

Time for a different approach. More bold and a bit like replacing the fundaments of a house because a door does not close properly… This is what I did:

  1. Removed the Web Console by starting the Setup of SCOM R2 on the related server > Install Operations Manager 2007 R2 > Next > Modify > Next. Deselect the option Web Console > Next and follow the wizard.
    image
  2. Reinstalled the Web Console on the by starting the Setup of SCOM R2 on the related server > Install Operations Manager 2007 R2 > Next > Modify > Next. Select the option Web Console > Next and follow the wizard.

  3. Installed CU#2 for SCOM R2 so all SCOM R2 Web Console components got updated accordingly.

And now all is well again:
image

Even though I do not like approaches like these, since the real cause is not found not addresses, it saves me a lot of time spent trouble shooting. The Web Console is functional again and everybody is happy. Time to move on to another topic…

No comments: