Tuesday, March 3, 2009

'Script or executable failed to run' - Part 2 'It is all about looks..'

Eventhough it is purely cosmetic, it is still an improvement. Whether this Alert turns up as a Critical or as an Informational Alert is a huge difference.

It keeps the Console clean and the SCOM Operators more on the edge. When 'something red' turns up, they know it is NOT an Alert to be ignored.

So by changing the Alert severity to an Informational Alert (integer 0) might come in handy.

Even when you create a special view for these Alerts and add a counter column to it, you will see soon enough what scripts on what servers are failing the most. So it is easier to troubleshoot.

No, I didn't think this one up by myself, but I found it here, posted by a person named Graham Davies (GD). Since it is a good idea I want to give it a bit more exposure.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It is something that I do with all installations. If a script fails once or twice it is no big deal and once it is a few days old I clear it. The only ones that I am interested in are those with repeat counts. I was sure that I had blogged about changing those Script alerts to Information but it does not look like it.

The others I change to information are
WMI Probe Module Execution Failure
WMI Event Module Execution Failure
IIS Discovery Probe Module Execution Failure

Error serverity is 2, Warning is 1 and Information is 0.

Ian
http://ianblythmanagement.wordpress.com/

Marnix Wolf said...

Hi Ian.

Thanks for your information. You are right about the integers for the severity. I even have made a blogposting about it in the past but somehow I mixed them up in this posting. So I will adjust it.

Best regards,
Marnix