So some troubleshooting was needed. This is what I did:
- Checked the availability of SDK service: Yes it was up & running
- Checked whether SDK could be connected over the LAN: Yes, no issues there
- Dumped the local cache of the Console (using /ClearCache switch)
- Cleared DNS cache on the client
- Started the Console on the RMS: no problems what so ever.
But still on the client the Console didn’t want to start. Same error, same screen.
Hmm. Wait! What about the time skew of Kerberos (> 5 minutes and it is over)? So I checked the time on the client and the server. Yes. They were out of sync and more than 5 minutes. After having adjusted that, all was well again and I could connect to the RMS again.
So whenever you experience the same issue follow the above mentioned steps and last, but not least check to see whether a time skew is the culprit.