First of all, make a valid full backup of the OpsMgr servers before you start the upgrade since the RMS might experience issues where one or both of these OpsMgr services stops functioning after having successfully completed the upgrade to Windows Server 2008 R2:
- OpsMgr SP1
The OpsMgr Config service and/or the OpsMgr SDK service.
- OpsMgr R2
The System Center Management Configuration service and/or the System Center Data Access service.
KB974722 mentions these possible issues as well:
Also, read the WHOLE KB article since there are other issues as well to reckon with. As goes with the MP guides: RTFM is the magic word here…
However. When you have upgraded already and you find your RMS having these issues you might try the following.
BUT: This is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
I have experienced this situation once with one of mine test environments running OpsMgr R2. Here the System Center Data Access service refused to run. Finally I got it running again. This is what I did:
- Set the System Center Data Access service to run under Local System Account
- Started the System Center Data Access service (now it ran)
- Rebooted the RMS
- When it came back, I checked it and it was still running. Then I changed the System Center Data Access service to run under the AD account used for the SDK Service:
- Restarted the System Center Data Access service and it came back to life.
Perhaps it was just me being very lucky but it is worth the try when you find yourself in this situation. Also good to know that this test environment where it occurred was constructed like this:
- A DC also SQL 2008 SP1 server with SRS and hosting all OpsMgr DBs
- A RMS