Friday, April 9, 2010

Taskeng. exe warning when using SCOM Remote Maintenance Mode Scheduler 2.0

The tool ‘SCOM Remote Maintenance Mode Scheduler 2.0’ from Tim McFadden is really great. I have implemented this tool on many locations.

However, today I bumped into an issue where the task server refused to run the script. It was not a PS issue at all. The task engine of the server itself generated a Security Warning:

Taskeng.exe

Security warning.

While scripts from the internet can be useful, this script can potentially harm your computer. Do you want to run <script name>?
[D] Do not run [R] Run Once [S] Suspend [?] Help <default is ‘D’>:

The related server runs Windows Server 2008 R2. So the security settings were stopping the scripts. Which came straight from the internet (my SkyDrive). After having changed the properties of the two related scripts (Unblock) all run fine. No errors what so ever.
image

Lesson learned: When running Windows 2008 Server R2, and using something downloaded from the internet ALWAYS check the properties and remove the blockage. Otherwise it won’t run as expected.

2 comments:

Andres P said...

Thanks.
Good information. I run several PS scripts from cmdfile and was wondering what is causing this warning. Even when .ps1 was called with "-Executionpolicy Unrestricted". But this explained all.

Marnix Wolf said...

Hi Andres.

You are welcome. It took me some time to find the real cause here. Sometimes it is better to leave something lying for a while and when fresh again, to pick it up. Same here. I had enough other tasks and duties to perform so I reported this issue to my customer and promised them to solve it with the next visit. And during that visit I cracked it in a matter of minutes where as the week before I was looking and searching almost an hour for the answer...

Cheers,
Marnix